With an active baby in the house, dinner these days is a simple affair. Sandwiches, wraps, soup noodles or takeaways. If I do cook, it will be something simple. One pot meal is the best.
This is by far one of our favourite. The chicken and rice cooks at the same time in one pot from which you can eat straightaway (read: less dishes to wash). I’ve cooked chicken rice the traditional way before. Compare to that, this is SO easy and they taste almost the same!
The hubs who is not a fan of chicken rice couldn’t stop eating this. So if it’s good for the hubs, it’s good for everyone! 🙂
Claypot Chicken Rice
* I did not follow any recipe. This is based on estimation.
4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
6-8 shallots, chopped (I used one small onion as I do not have shallots)
6-7 slices ginger, minced (only if you like bits of ginger in the rice)
2-3 pandan leaves, knotted (I do not have it at hand, so I omitted)
2 cups rice, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 – 1 3/4 chicken stock (depending how soft you want the rice to be)
pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp oil
1 knob butter
2 chicken thighs, chop into pieces or leave it whole (marinate with few pinches of salt, few pinches of sugar, dash of light soya sauce, dash of shaoxing wine and dash of sesame oil for 15-30 minutes)
1. Heat up oil and butter in claypot. Add in garlic, shallots and ginger. Sautéed until fragrant.
2. Add in rinsed rice and mix well with the oil.
3. Pour in chicken stock and give it a few stir. Arrange pandan leaves (if have) and chicken pieces on top of the rice (do not overlap the chicken).
4. Bring it to a boil and cover. Turn to the lowest heat and let the rice cook until it has absorbed all the liquid.
5. Once chicken and rice are cooked, turn off the heat and let stand for 10-15 minutes covered. (To check doneness of chicken, use a chopstick and insert at the thickest part of the chicken. If the juice runs clear, the chicken is done)
6. Garnish and serve with sauce.
** If you do not have a claypot, you can use a rice cooker. After step 2, transfer all the ingredients into the rice cooker and cook as per normal.
5-6 red chilis
2 chili padi (more if you like spicy)
3-4 cloves garlic
1 piece 1 cm thick ginger
a handful coriander (optional)
juice of 1 lime/lemon (to taste)
1 tsp fish sauce (to taste)
pinch of salt and sugar (to taste)
Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend away.