Elisa’s Birth Story Part I

Finally after 2.5 months, I got to write Elisa’s birth story. 

It all started gently enough…

I had my bloody show on Saturday and according to books, I am heading at the right direction.
Sunday came and went by without any drama.

Monday, 22nd July 2013, 3 am.
I was semi woken up by a dream. I dreamt that the baby has finally arrived and she pooed on me! Haha.
Since I was half awake, I went to the toilet and before I could do anything, I felt a little gush of warm fluid and the little gush became a much bigger gush, nothing flood-like, unlike those you see in movies. There was no question…my water had broken! Okay, I was not very certain but what else could it be?

Continued with my business, came out and googled what I should do next. I did not want to wake the hubs up but I guess he knew something was amiss. He asked if everything is ok and I told him “I THIIIINK my water bag broke!” I called the hospital, explained what happened and was told to get to hospital. I thought we will go into panic mode but we were pretty calm. We took our time to wash up, did some last minute packing, took some photos and off we went.

3.45 am – We left the house and took a slow drive to KKH. The drive on PIE was so smooth, for once! I was having some mild contractions akin to mild menstrual cramps (now I know how menstrual cramps feel like!)

4 am – We headed to the delivery suite and were quite surprised that they had all my records ready (we were pre-registered). They placed us in the room I would deliver in, and started monitoring the baby’s heartbeat and my contractions. The night shift doctor came and did a VE on me. I was only 1 cm dilated.

5 am – The nurse then came to insert the cannula. It was freaking painful!! And guess what? It was unsuccessful! According to her, I have a nice vein but it was blocked by a valve! And she decided to let the morning nurse do it. By that time, my hand was already sore from all the poking. (The bruise lasted for two weeks!)
Sent out a few messages to my mum and the bff. Sorry Em, didn’t mean to wake you up!

6 am – The doctor came and checked on me again. Still 1 cm dilated. I was having regular contractions, 1 in every 4-5 mins. The hubs then went for breakfast. I asked him to get me some McD breakfast but the nurse said I am not allowed to eat anything! Boo! I was telling the hubs, on hindsight, we should have eaten breakfast before going to the delivery suite! The nurse made me a cup of Milo and I drifted off to sleep.

7 am – There were some mild contractions. Pain level 1-2 out of 10. The husband organised our stuff, sent out a few emails/messages and took a nap on his uncomfy (according to him) couch. Nothing much happened as we waited for my obgyn, Dr Khoo.

8 am – Dr Khoo came and checked on me. Still 1 cm. As my waters have broken and labor hasn’t started, the doctor said I have to be induced. He briefed us on what’s going to happen; he’s going to give me prostaglandin and oxytocin later on. He asked me to have a big breakfast before being induced and I quickly summoned the hubs to get me McD (my last fancy meal, yes, McD is fancy at time like this) as I was real hungry!

8.30 am – I was given prostaglandin to ripen the cervix and stimulate contractions. The nurse came and inserted the cannula – second time. I was ready for the worse but surprising it did not hurt at all unlike the first time! I like this nurse already! Three vials of blood were taken for cord blood banking and I was put on a drip.

9 am – I started to feel some light contractions with a few strong ones. They are bearable. The nurse came and asked if I wanted epidural. She suggested that I get one so that I can have a proper rest as it’s going to be a long day. I heeded her advice.

9.30 am – The anaesthetist came and gave me a brief run down of the procedures. I was told to sit up, face the hubs and arch my back. Local anaesthetic was sprayed onto my back (I love the cooling feeling!) and then another local anaesthetic was injected followed by the insertion of the catheter. I was holding the hubs hand all along as this procedure reminds me of the bone marrow extraction I witnessed during my internship days. I know this is nothing compared to what I witnessed but the offensive looking needle is enough to send chills down my spine. The whole procedure was over in minutes, it was instant relief. Then the side effects kicked in, my lower body started to itch and my legs felt real heavy!
Shortly after, I was given a urinary catheterization as urine will be difficult due to the numbness and also I was bed-bound.

10 am – 2 pm – Not much happening down there, I was just in between 1 and 2.


To be continued…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s