Muah Chee, is one of my favorite childhood street snack. It is made of glutinous rice balls coated with ground peanuts, sugar and sesame seeds. When I think of Muah Chee, I think of Gurney Drive because you can definitely find them there. Whenever I go to Gurney Drive for my laksa fix (which I don’t anymore), I will definitely get a box for dessert. It doesn’t cost much, I remember it being RM 1 per box but that was quite sometime ago.
Few days ago, I have this sudden cravings for something sweet. Looked inside the fridge, nothing enticed me. Looked inside the larder and the first thing that popped up in front of me was a packet ground peanuts. Immediately, muah chee came to mind. I know it doesn’t take long to make, 5 minutes max. I’ve made this many many times before, the hubs loves it and the friends love it. So I’m telling ya, this recipe is a keeper!
Start the stopwatch.
125g glutinous rice flour
1-2tbsp shallot oil
3-4tbsp roasted ground peanuts
1-2tbsp sugar (adjust to taste)
(or 3-4tbsp store bought readily mixed peanuts sugar mixture)
2tsp sesame seeds, lightly toasted
1. Mix glutinous rice flour, water and shallot oil in a microwaveable bowl. Stir to mix well.
2. Microwave on high for 3 1/2 minutes.
3. In a deep dish, mix roasted ground peanuts, sugar and sesame seeds.
4. Once the rice paste is ready, cut a big piece and drop it into the peanuts sugar mixture.
5. Dice the rice paste into a smaller cubes and coat them with the peanuts and sugar mixture.
6. Dish out and topped with fried shallots. Serve immediately.
(Adapted from The Little Teochew)
Told ya, it only takes 5 minutes! 🙂