I’m sure many of you are familiar with this classic Thai dessert. Everyone who travels to Thailand will definitely eat this once or twice or like some of us, every single meal 🙂
While I was on grocery run last Sunday, I chanced upon some luscious Thai Mangoes on sale. Immediately, mango sticky rice came to mind.
The most important aspect of this dessert is getting the right mangoes. They have to be perfectly ripe and sweet with no trace of tartness. Then they will pair well with the creamy and chewy sticky rice. Never never use tart mangoes, unless you want to ruin your dessert! This is SO easy to make and it will surely impress your family and friends 😉
Mango Sticky Rice
1/2 cup glutinous rice, soaked 2-4 hours or overnight
1/2 cup coconut milk
1-2 tbsp caster sugar
pinch of salt
1 ripe mango (or more)
toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1. Soak the rice for 2-4 hours or overnight.
2. Drain and steam on high heat for 30 minutes until grains are soft and translucent.
3. While the rice is steaming, heat up the coconut milk, sugar and salt until dissolved. Set aside.
4. Once the rice is done, stir in the coconut milk until you achieve a soft and sticky texture. Reserve some coconut milk to drizzle over the rice before serving.
5. To assemble, place a few scoops of sticky rice on a plate. Top with slices of mango, and drizzle coconut milk over the rice. Garnish with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
Easy and delicious!