Our friend, D came back from Milan recently and she lugged back some Italiano goodies. She suggested lunch over at our place and we just couldn’t turn down the suggestion as it has been long overdue since the last time we had friends over. Truly, there’s no better way to while away an entire Sunday afternoon by surrounding yourself with good company and better food.
We kept the menu simple and the portions small as we have another feast waiting for us in the evening 🙂 Here’s the menu:-
1. Prosciutto + melon – A wonderful starter which takes minutes to make. The sweetness of the melon, the saltiness of the prosciutto and the herbaceous aroma of the mint are a great combination. While some of the friends left out the mint, I thought the mint leaf adds freshness to each bite.
2. Anchovy + mozzarella + tomato + basil – Simply arrange the ingredient on top of each other and drizzle with truffle oil.
3. Sauteed mushroom – This is specially prepared for the Em. Fry the garlic, add in mushrooms and toss in some herbs. Pregnant lady’s craving’s satisfied.
4. Spinach + creamed mushroom – Another dish for the pregnant one. Add cream to the cooked mushrooms and mixed it with sauteed spinach. This is a recreation of the “must have” dish at one of the Italian joints in Frankfurt.
5. Brown butter gnocchi – Of all the dishes, this is my favorite and it’s so easy to prepare. Cook gnocchi according to packaging. Drain and set aside. Brown some butter on a pan with garlic (lots of them), Add in gnocchi and fry until slightly brown.
6. Tomato gnocchi – The hubs contributed this dish with some help from Martha Stewarts.
7. Baby back ribs
8. Bread stick + basil pesto
9. Moon cake ice cream – Yes, I know this doesn’t fit the Italian theme but oh well, just pretend that this it is gelato with an asian twist. Haha!
After lunch, we hung around before we head out for dinner at Ah Yat Seafood Restaurant. The lovely Mrs OCK aka S, treated us to this wonderful 8 course dinner which consisted of abalone, king crabs, peking duck and a whole lot more!! Thank you, S!!! Dinner was awesome but it was marred by some horrendous service. However, we did not let that deter us from enjoying ourselves. I guess our table contributed the most to the somewhat noisy atmosphere. Haha! Besides the food, the star of the night is this little fella, Kieran. All the uncles and aunties just want to get a piece of him… Oh, poor boy! 🙂
Our Sunday feast did not end here, we adjourned to Sim&Em’s house after the dinner for the big man’s birthday celebration. Happy (belated) Birthday, Sim!! It has somewhat became a tradition to have cake cutting celebration on the stroke of midnight. Needless to say, we were stuffed by the end of the night and all of us went home a pound heavier! 🙂