For W’s birthday, I was given the task of baking her a cake. I am honoured to be given the responsibility but on the other hand, I was a bit nervous. A lot “what if”(s) hovered over my head, what if I fail to produce, what if they do not like the cake, what if it’s not nice..well, a lot of what ifs. I’ve even got myself a backup plan, to buy her a cake if I fail.
When I was given the mission, I started to think what cake to make. A few cakes came to mind, Red Velvet, Chocolate Banana Cake or Carrot Cake. I’ve not baked Red Velvet Cake before and it has always been on my to-bake list. I love the crimson red, it’s dramatic and oh so sexy! But because I’ve not done that before, I decided not to, I will be a letdown if I fall short. So, Red Velvet Cake is out.
After weighing between Chocolate Banana Cake and Carrot Cake, I decided to go for the latter, something I am familiar with. I’ve done that numerous times and have been getting pretty good comments from the husband and friends, so I was quite sure I will be able to deliver. So, Carrot Cake that’s it!
I am glad with how the cake turned out as a whole. Though, I still need more practices in cake frosting. I want to achieve a sleek, smooth and even layer of frosting. As you can see from the picture, I have a lot more to learn. And also because I was running short of time, I did not let the cake cool completely before slicing it. As a result, the layers crumbled into chunks as I sliced them. And by completely, I mean 3-4 hours.
I couldn’t remember where I obtained this recipe from, it could be from a friend or from the net, but whatever it is, this is the trusted recipe, I have no desire to look for another one. This recipe is literally perfect. It is moist, flavourful, dense and sinfully delicious. Frost it with cream cheese frosting, it shouts Heavenly!
The cake was a hit amongst our friends and they thoroughly enjoyed the cake. After hours of toiling in the kitchen, their lovely remarks trump it all 🙂
Super Moist Carrot Cake
(20cm cake pan)
100g walnuts, toasted and chopped
340g carrots, finely grated
280g all purpose flour
1tsp baking soda
1½tsp baking powder
1½tsp ground cinnamon
250g caster sugar
240ml vegetable oil
2tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180 C
2. Peel and finely grate coconut. Set aside.
3. Sieve flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
5. Gradually add sugar and beat until batter is thick and light in colour.
6. Add in oil in a steady stream and beat in vanilla extract.
7. Add the dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
8. Fold in grated carrot and walnuts. (Optional – Raisins or Figs)
9. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
10. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 cup icing sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
juice of ½ lemon
1. Beat cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl until well mixed.
2. Sift in icing sugar, and continue beating until smooth. Add vanilla and lemon juice. Beat until well mixed.
Frost and garnish the cake to your liking 😀